20.3.19 Call for Papers – Canadian Science Fiction
Deadline for submissions:
Abstracts are due February 15, 2019
Finished drafts will be due August 15, 2019
Foundation invites contributions for a special issue on Canadian science fiction. The special issue is guest edited by Heather Osborne (University of Calgary, Canada).
Canadian science fiction encompasses multiple traditions. Several Canadian science fiction writers have become internationally known, including those whose sf works are textured by distinctly Canadian settings. Indigenous and Francophone writers are contributing to the genre while bringing the voice of their communities to their work. Papers for the special issue may be about Canadian science fiction works in any medium: literature, film, and graphic novels.
We invite submissions on topics including, but not limited to:
· Detailed examinations of works by specific Canadian authors
· The use of Canadian settings in near-future sf
· Themes of colonization and decolonization in Canadian sf
· The impact of Canadian writers and editors on developments in the sf field
· Indigenous science fiction writers and texts (for example Joshua Whitehead, Drew Hayden Taylor, Eden Robinson, Cherie Dimaline)
· Québécois and Canadian francophone science fiction and works (for example Joël Champetier, Denis Coté, Yves Meynard, Esther Rochon)
· Whether, and how, Canadian science fiction differs significantly from sf traditions in other nations.
Abstracts of 300-400 words should be sent, in Word or PDF format, to email@example.com, with the subject line ‘Canadian SF Special Issue’. Final drafts should be approximately 6000 words including citations. Please follow the Foundation style guide (http://www.sffoundation.org/publications/foundation/styleguide.html) in all submissions.
Science for Fiction 2019
Are you a professionally published author? Would your fiction benefit from learning more about current science and technology? Then come to Science for Fiction 2019!
Science for Fiction will be held at Imperial College, London on 3rd and 4th July 2019, starting 2pm on 3rd and all day 4th July. Subject matter will include theoretical physics, space probes, cosmology, biology and much more. Presentations will be given by leading scientists and there will be plenty of time for discussion during and after the talks.
Science for Fiction costs £30, including lunch on 4th July. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and to secure a place. Numbers are limited so apply soon!